TMJ Therapy - Rolling Meadows
Headache & Joint Relief
In addition to your teeth and gums, the condition of your jaw joint (known as the TMJ) is also essential to your oral health. This joint can often develop what is called a TMJ disorder, or TMD, due to strain, injury, arthritis, an uneven bite, or unconscious teeth grinding.
As a result, this can bring about symptoms such as a stiff and painful jaw, chronic headaches/migraines, and even neck and shoulder pain. At Plum Grove Family Dental, Dr. Wang keeps a close eye on this overlooked component of dental health, and when problems arise, she has the proven solutions people need.
We can help address a TMD with the following treatments:
- Facial stretches to relax the muscles throughout the day.
- An occlusal adjustment to realign the bite by slightly reshaping a few key teeth.
- Having a patient wear an oral appliance called an occlusal splint to bed that slightly adjusts the jaw’s position to allow the muscles and ligaments to naturally heal.
- A TENS machine uses gentle electronic pulses to massage strained muscles and flush out inflammatory factors.
- Botox injections can be used to stop spasming muscles and quickly relieve TMD-related pain.
Are you currently dealing with persistent pain in your jaw, head, or neck? It could be because of a TMD, and we can help you get the long-lasting relief you’ve been looking for. To learn more and schedule an appointment, contact us today.